Jared Purton - ASI Award
Established in 2016 in memory of Jared Purton
July 31st - August 21st 2023 for research undertaken in 2024
This award was established in 2016 in memory of Jared Purton, a promising young Immunologist from Melbourne who tragically died in 2009 during his postdoctoral time in the US.
The prize money for First and Second Prizes are generously donated by Jared's parents.
To recognise and further advance the research of early-mid career immunologists at a critical point in their career. These awards are offered once per year.
The use of the prize money is determined by the awardee but must directly support their research. Some examples include, but are not limited to:
- Support to buy equipment or special reagents not otherwise funded
- Support for student / staff recruitment
- Travel support to carry out a research project / learn a technique
- Support to visit collaborators or setup a new collaboration
- Provision of child care while attending a conference.
- All ASI members are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have been full (not interim) Ordinary or Student members of ASI in the year preceding the application
- Applicants must have paid their membership subscription before 1st April of the year of application
- Awardees are required to maintain their membership during the year the research funded by the award is being undertaken.
- Click here to download the Jared Purton Award application form.
- Include a C.V. (maximum 1 page) plus a list of publications from the last 10 years.
- Combine the files into a single pdf and save your file as "LASTNAME YYYY_Jared Purton”.
- Log in to your member profile and click on 'Applications'.
Degree to which funds and recognition by ASI will make a major difference to career advancement.
Preference will apply to outstanding individuals not already recognised by awards of this stature, taking into account the prior achievements relative to opportunity, evidence of leadership, and the expected benefits to the applicant's research (proposed use of the prize money).
The selection of the awardee will be made by the ASI Executive committee (or their delegates). The committee reserves the right not to make an award.
First Prize is worth $5000.
Second Prize is worth $3000.
Successful Recipients - how to claim your ASI Award:
Please log in to your member profile to submit your Newsletter contribution and to initiate the reimbursement process.
Applicants must be willing to contribute to the ASI Newsletter about how the award has been used in the year the research is undertaken.
An award ceremony with a formal presentation of the award will be part of the closing ceremony at the ASI Annual Scientific Meeting.