Women’s Initiative Travel Awards
July-August 2019 for travel in December 2019
To facilitate women with parental responsibilities to attend the ASI Annual Scientific Meeting. These awards are intended to support women who are the primary carer of one or more children of primary school age or younger, by contributing to the costs associated with childcare while the recipient is attending the conference. This award aims to assist talented ASI researchers to disseminate their findings and build career connections at a conference they might have otherwise found difficult to attend.
Funds may be used in any way that suits the recipient’s personal circumstances, including but not limited to:
- Travel and accommodation for children
- Travel and accommodation for a companion to provide childcare
- Employment of a carer while the care-giver is away
- Before- or after-school care for children while the care-giver is away
- Local formal childcare costs
- Additional days of formal childcare at home while awardees are traveling
The award does not cover:
- Normal formal childcare costs at home
- Ordinary costs of the meeting such as travel expenses or conference registration
- Applicants must be current financial ASI members
- Applicants must have been full (not interim) Ordinary or Student members of ASI in the year preceding the application
- Applicants must have paid their membership subscription before 1st April of the year of application
- Applicants must have already secured some or all funding for your conference attendance (e.g. conference registration, flights etc)
- Applicants must be the primary carer of one or more dependent children of primary school age, or younger.
- Applicants who have previously received an ASI Womens Initiative Travel Award are ineligible.
- Click here to download the Women's Initiative Travel Award application form.
- Include a C.V. (maximum 2 pages) that outlines your employment history, key publication and conference track record, and other relevant activities (noting career disruptions where relevant).
- Obtain a letter of support from your Head of Department/Head of School that confirms your academic position. This letter must also disclose any other funding that is available to support the proposed trip (e.g. conference registration, flights, accommodation) and other carer’s support already provided.
- Combine the files into a single pdf and save your file as "LASTNAME 2019_WI Travel”.
- Log in to your member profile and click on 'Awards'.
Your application must demonstrate your commitment to an academic health and medical research career, other contributions you have made to the health and medical research field (such as teaching and community engagement), and how the award will support your attendance at the proposed conference and the impact this conference would have on your career progression and/or research.
- Quality of application and abstract
- Likely professional benefits of the proposed travel, as judged by the Women’s Initiative Award subcommittee.
The committee reserves the right not to make an award.
4 Travel Awards will be awarded per annum, subject to funding availability. Each award may be worth up to AUD 1000.
Successful recipients- how to claim your award:
Please log in to your member profile to initiative the reimbursement process.
Applicants must be willing to contribute to the ASI Newsletter on conclusion of the travel.