We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Act) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
What is your personal information?
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- facsimile number;
- age or birth date;
- profession, occupation or job title;
- details of the membership and registrations you have purchased or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those and to respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise;
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because an individual is not reasonably identifiable from the information. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information about how users use our website. This policy does not apply to such information.
We do not generally collect sensitive information such as personal information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religion or trade unions, sexual preferences or activities, criminal record, state of health or medical history, however we may occasionally request sensitive personal information (for example, where we are organising catering and need to understand your dietary requirements).
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- through your access and use of our website;
- during conversations between you and our representatives;
- when you complete an application or
- when you apply for an award or opportunity.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- from third party companies such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities.
We may log IP addresses (that is, the electronic addresses of computers connected to the internet) to analyse trends, administer the website, track users movements, and gather broad demographic information.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want, including information about new initiatives, opportunities, programs, and promotions
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences, you may not be able to use areas of our website that require you to log in and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions that are detailed generally on our website and to provide best possible quality of service.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected, for related purposes for which you would reasonably expect us to use it, or for any other purpose with your consent (whether express or implied). For example, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new initiatives, programs, opportunities and promotions;
- to provide you with access to member-restricted areas of our website;
- to assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our contractors and service providers
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of ASI, its contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated personal information to our contractors or service providers;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator or governmental authority.
Where we have collected sensitive information, except as permitted by law, we will use it only for the purpose that it was collected for or other directly related purposes.
We may at other times notify you about our disclosure practices in respect of specific information that we collect.
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our employees, contractors or service providers (within Australia).
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about opportunities, products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of direct marketing.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you).
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it.
Our procedure for investigating and dealing with privacy breaches is to conduct a comprehensive search to understand the circumstances surrounding the breach and to undertake the necessary steps to resolve these.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australasia?
We disclose personal information to contractors and service providers located in Australia and New Zealand.
We may also disclose your personal information to data hosting and other service providers that are located in other countries.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
With your express consent, we may disclose your personal information to entities located outside of Australia and New Zealand, including the following:
- our equivalent societies; and
- other third parties located outside of Australasia.
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us over the internet is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in timely and appropriate manner.
Please contact us at:
Australian and New Zealand Society for Immunology Incorporated
Post: PO Box 1371, Mitcham North, VIC 3132
Tel: (03) 8393 9388
Email: [email protected]